Welcome to the Engineering Technology Services WiKi. Here you can find documentation related to using and accessing College of Engineering Technology resources. You will also find blog posts and articles about upcoming outages, changes, and maintenance windows.
Third Party Patching:
Engineering Technology Services will be rolling out a new update cadence on Microsoft Windows PCs to help accomplish third party patching. Third party applications include common browsers, programs and plugins not created by Microsoft. Third party patches will install every Wednesday morning at 8:00AM. These patches should not cause restarts or close running applications, but you will see new items listed in Software Center as a result of our new tool.
For complete documentation on our update process for Windows PCs, please visit: https://wiki.engineering.osu.edu/display/DOCS/CoE+Monthly+Update+Guidance
As a reminder, our current monthly update schedule for Microsoft updates follows:
When are updates available for install?
- Wednesday one week after Patch Tuesday (a.k.a. Release Wednesday):
- Microsoft publishes updates on the 2nd Tuesday of every month (a.k.a. Patch Tuesday).
- ETS tests all updates and then makes them available for install starting on Release Wednesday.
When is the install deadline for updates?
- 7 days after Release Wednesday (a.k.a. Deadline Wednesday) at 6:00 PM.
What about required restarts?
- If you are logged in when updates finish installing:
- An automatic restart will happen after a 24-hour restart countdown.
- If you are NOT logged in when updates finish installing:
- An automatic restart will happen immediately.
- February 10, 2020 – You have the option to increase security on Office 365 by adding Duo. On Friday, May 22, 2020 Duo becomes mandatory.
- May 22, 2020 - The Outlook client and Outlook mobile client will be the only clients usable for checking email.