Welcome to the Engineering Technology Services WiKi. Here you can find documentation related to using and accessing College of Engineering Technology resources. You will also find blog posts and articles about upcoming outages, changes, and maintenance windows.
Engineering Technology Services has been diligently working with College leadership to help provide robust remote access to resources in support of Keep Teaching, Keep Learning, and Keep Working initiatives. This page is constantly being updated.
Scheduled Work for Winter Break
- Monday, December 14 starting at 10:00 P.M. - All ETS managed Linux servers (excluding the CSE research networks) will be patched. These systems will reboot at 7:30AM on December 15th. Please make sure your systems are powered on, and on the network, before the patch window opens. Further, it is recommended that all files be saved before the patch window opens and that all users log off before the reboot time.
- Monday, December 14 from 6:00 to 9:00 P.M. - CSE Firewall in Dreese will be upgraded.
- Monday, December 14 from 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. - ETS will begin migrating CEMAS VPN services to Pulse VPN Appliance. ETS will be sending specific instructions to CEMAS users on how to transition to the Pulse VPN.
- Wednesday, December 16 starting at 6:00 A.M. – Maintenance window for file shares and home directories. No downtime expected.
- Wednesday, December 16 from 12:00 A.M. to Friday, December 18 at 12:00 A.M. - New Drive Map policies will be applied to academic departments. Specific information has been sent to each department.
- Thursday, December 17 from 4:00 to 6:00 P.M. - Network switch upgrade affecting 2nd floor Dreese Lab offices. Devices in these locations will not be accessible during this interval.
- Thursday, December 17 from 6:00 to 8:00 P.M. - ETS will remove FastX 2 from all COE Linux systems except for systems running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (RHEL 6) or CentOS 6. FastX 3 is already installed on all COE Linux systems that have FastX 2. If you are not currently using FastX 3, please install and switch to it before 6pm on December 17 (unless you are connecting to a RHEL 6 or CentOS 6 system). Instructions for obtaining and configuring FastX 3 can be found here - https://wiki.engineering.osu.edu/display/DOCS/FastX+v3+Install+Instructions. FastX 2 and FastX 3 clients can co-exist on the same system and you can have both versions installed.
If you're unsure if the Linux system you connect to is running RHEL 6 or CentOS 6, you can open a command line and type cat /etc/redhat-release (the file exists on both RHEL 6 and CentOS 6). If you are using RHEL 6 or CentOS 6 you'll something similar one of the lines below in the command's output. If you receive an error when typing the command, you are not running any version of RHEL or CentOS.
- Friday, December 18 from 8:00 to 10:00 A.M - stdlinux and faclinux servers will be offline for maintenance. Please make sure you are logged out prior to the outage window to avoid losing data.
- Monday, December 21 from 10:00 A.M to 12:00 P.M. - Network switch upgrade affecting Dreese Lab 095, clean room. Devices in this location will not be accessible.
- Monday, December 21 from 3:00 to 7:00 P.M. – Network switch upgrade affecting ECE offices on the 6th, 7th and 8th floors of Dreese Lab. Devices in these locations will not be accessible.
- Tuesday, December 22 from 10:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. and 4:00 to 8:00 P.M.- Network switch upgrade affecting Dreese Lab 469. Devices in this room will not be accessible.
- Tuesday, December 22 from 4:00 to 8:00 P.M. - Network switch upgrade affecting 5th floor Dreese Lab offices and computer labs, and the computer lab in 817. Devices in these locations will not be accessible.
- Monday, December 28 7:00 A.M. to Tuesday, December 29 5:00 P.M. Power to the ETS Data Center in Dreese Lab 886, 894 & 898 will be shut off to facilitate the installation of a new Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). For those with research equipment in these rooms, please plan to shut your equipment down before 7:00AM on the 28th. Any long running experiments/computations should be scheduled so they are complete well before this time. If the equipment is still up at 7:00AM, our Systems Administrators will physically power the equipment off. Starting at 7:00AM on Monday, 12/28 all systems housed in the mentioned three rooms will be shutdown and at 8:00AM the power to the rooms will be turned off.
The power to the room will not be restored until the UPS installation and startup is completed on Tuesday 12/29. Once the UPS is back online and stable we will work to bring all the equipment back up as quickly as possible.
- Monday, December 28 through 30, from 4:00 to 10:00 P.M. - Network switch upgrades in EJTC. There will be network disruptions at different areas at EJTC each evening during this period.
- Monday, December 28 through January 7 – Computer labs will be reconfigured. This will result in rolling outages. Student can check the lab status page for computers available.
- Thursday, December 31 from 7:00 and 8:00 A.M. - Network switch reboot in Fontana Lab will result in about 15 minutes network disruption during this interval.
- Sunday, January 3 from 10:00 to 11:00 P.M. - Pulse VPN appliance upgrade. During this time, all VPN sessions will be disconnected and will need to be manually restarted. The service itself will also be unavailable. When you next connect to the Pulse VPN service, your client will prompt for an automatic upgrade.